If the purpose of business is to generate a profit, and the fact that no company makes money making stuff, only selling stuff, then the idea of value is defined in the deliverable to your customers. If thought of in this way, value is defined as:
- Is our organization helping the client achieve something it could not achieve before, better or on its own?
- Is the deliverable measureable?
- Is the process for working with customers accountable?
- Is our service or product helping the customer to outflank its competition?
- Is our service or product a good price?
The aggregate answers to these questions is what value is.